A Study of the Impact of SACU Tariff and Trade Policy on Food Prices in the Sub-Region
September 6, 2010
This study aims to answer six main questions:
- What were the causes of the 2006-2008 Food/Fuel Crisis?
- What happened to prices before, during and after the crisis?
- What was the Southern African Customs Union (SACU) tariff and how much did it affect prices before during and after the crisis?
- How were SACU members affected by the crisis?
- Will the price increases of 2006-2008 recur?
- What should SACU members do to prepare for possible future crises?
Download the Full Study (4.82 MB)